Friday, December 30, 2005

Larry's letter on Patti's death

Dan,

Patti Reames died last night at Norman Regional Hospital. I don't know all the details yet, but apparently her death was the result of heart failure. Patti was one of the kindest and most generous people I've ever known. She was also dedicated to the cause of freethought and was, as you know, a supporter of HAT as well.

She'd suffered from Multiple Sclerosis for the past several years, and was institutionalized for the past five in various rest homes. Over the past few weeks, she'd begun to lose the use of her hands. In a matter of months, I'm sure she would've been a quadriplegic. Patti had suffered enough indignities because of this illness and I know she wouldn't have wanted to be reduced to that. She was optimistic, courageous and sweet to the end, even though she'd had to endure excrutiating pain and immobility for so long.

I'll miss her greatly.

Larry [Forrest]

Note from Dan: Larry wrote to me again to say that the cause of death was found to be sepsis, blood poisoning due to an infection.

No comments: